Cumberland Street

Cumberland Street

Cumberland Street, Edinburgh

The history of Cumberland Street

Cumberland Street today has a quiet and calm atmosphere, a street of residential Georgian elegance. Yet it also stands as a reminder of how close the city came to losing some of its greatest assets.

The street is part of the northern extension of the original New Town, masterplanned by architects Robert Reid and William Sibbald between 1801-2. As with the first new town there was a hierarchy of streets, with Great King Street and Royal Circus intended as the grandest addresses. The scale and size of Cumberland Street was smaller, with cheaper housing for well off tradesmen. Following on the same royal theme as other New Town streets, it was named after the Duke Cumberland, the fifth son of King George III, famous for his success in defeating Bonnie Prince Charlie at the battle of Culloden in 1746.

Cultural significance

Today Cumberland Street is seen as an integral part of the New Town, and even features in the 44 Scotland Street novels. The Cumberland Bar is a firm favourite with many characters, particularly Angus the painter and his dog Cyril, who has his own ‘beer bowl’ kept behind the bar.

Why is it important to Edinburgh?

The first buildings were designed by Thomas Brown in 1822, but it was not until the 1850s that the street was completed. It consists of three-storey main door tenements, with a few shops added in Victorian times. It is constructed of the same Craigleith sandstone as the rest of the New Town, but there are some distinctions between the west and east side of the street. The west side being slightly grander with more architectural features, such as deep channels between stonework on the ground floor known as ‘rustication’, fan lights and cornices over first floor windows.

Key events

In 1822, Cumberland Street played a significant role in the celebrations surrounding King George IV’s visit to Edinburgh. The street was adorned with decorations and illuminated in grand style, reflecting the city’s enthusiastic welcome for the monarch. This event underscored the integral role Cumberland Street played in the city’s civic life and celebrations.

Additional information

Cumberland Street was established in the late 18th century as part of James Craig’s visionary plan for the New Town.
In the 1960s the council started a programme of housing improvements, and a report highlighted the alarming state of decay and terrible conditions for the residents. An entire block of Georgian tenements was earmarked for demolition as slum housing. In 1973 the newly formed Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee stepped in to save the street, and managed to convince the council that the cost of repairing the tenements would be substantially less than demolition and rebuilding. Working with the Drummond Housing Association and dedicated residents, they were able to offer grants to transform the street back to its original condition. The buildings, once black and decaying, were revived and the unity of the Georgian architecture was renewed through the restoration of windows, railings, and most noticeably, the stonework.
Cumberland Street is located in the heart of Edinburgh’s New Town.

You can help protect the UNESCO World Heritage Site by joining Edinburgh World Heritage, by donating to us directly, or by attending one of our events.

For more information about how to support us, please use the links below.

If you would like to know more about the topic above, please contact us directly.