The property is a category C (s) listed building, purpose-built in 1899 as multi-floored shop premises and currently used as a Poundsavers Store. In 2009 repairs to the stonework and roof were completed, followed by restoration work to unveil the original Victorian shopfront, which survived largely intact beneath later timber framing. Architectural features such as a cornice, pilasters, and delicate glazing bars were repaired, along with new double doors and appropriate paintwork.
This work was carried out in part due to a grant from Edinburgh World Heritage’s Conservation Funding Programme (CFP) which is funded by Historic Environment Scotland.
This late Victorian commercial building was designed by the architect Peter L. Henderson (1848-1912). 37-41 Nicolson Street represents a work of significance for the architect, Henderson, who was essentially a brewers’ and licensed trades architect, known for the predominantly industrial nature of his work.
The building was originally known as ‘McIntyre’s drapery stores’. John McIntyre & Co were ‘Warehousemen and Costumiers of ladies’ dress’, who used the three public sales floors of 37-41 Nicolson Street to sell their wares. The building followed the lead set by larger stores in Edinburgh such as Jenners Department Store, designed by William Hamilton Beattie and built 1893-5.